16.4.19

When Asking for Mercy – A Lesson from the Battle of Bannockburn

“Now that the Scotch were fairly drawn up in order of battle, the English could see how small was their number in comparison to their own, and the king in surprise exclaimed to Sir Ingram de Umfraville:

“What! Will yonder Scots fight us?”

“That verily they will,” the knight replied, for he had many a time been engaged in stout conflict with them, and knew how hard it was even for mail-clad knights to break through the close line of Scottish spears…” – G.A. Henty, In Freedom’s Cause

It was the Battle of Bannockburn. King Edward was there in person to command the English - which was a rare occurrence indeed. Robert Bruce was leading the Scottish troops and we all listened with baited breath.

G.A. Henty's account of the Scottish wars was always a favourite in our house. My siblings and I couldn’t help but admire the noble Scots. They were an army of common people who had left their homes to fight for freedom - freedom that had been theirs for centuries. They were outnumbered, largely untrained, and lacking in resources and yet they conducted themselves with honour, courage, and perseverance. Their patriotism was unmatched. Their bravery unwavering. But what would be their end?

We glanced anxiously at the remaining pages, fearing that they were too few to adequately conclude the story of a campaign that had lasted so many years.

 I used to wish I lived in Scotland in those times. That I could have met those brave men and shared in their fight. I still do. But nowadays, I find myself engaged in the exploits of another war. One that reminds me much of the Scots', except that its backdrop is not grassy hills and thick forests but rather the inner workings of my own soul.

 My sinful nature, the alluring pleasures of the world, and the Devil are no less powerful opponents than the English were. They are determined to rule this little territory  - my soul - even though it already has a rightful ruler.

 So, I share in the Scot’s battle for freedom. I share also in their weakness, for the little good that is in me is outnumbered, under-trained, and lacking in resources.  

When I think about the strength of my own soul, when I imagine how it would appear if drawn up in order of battle, it isn’t hard to see why the enemy looks upon me with disdain. Satan must often feel the same surprise that King Edward voiced as he looked down upon the ranks of Scots and deemed them altogether pitiable.

“What! Will yonder Scots fight us?”

Our enemy knows his strength and he deems us nothing in comparison to it. Many of us would agree with that estimation. We have failed in battle enough times to recognise how outmatched we are. Thus, the temptation to despair greets us even before we have begun to fight. The enemy hopes we will just give up, turn, and beg him for mercy.

But as I think of the Scots I am reminded that though they were badly outmatched they were not defeated. I so love Sir Ingram’s response to King Edward’s question. “Yes, verily they will,” That statement always causes me to smile. I can’t help but feel proud of the Scots even though I have never met them.

Those simple people proved time and again that one doesn't have to cower before an enemy that is stronger than you.  What was it that enabled the Scots to have such courage? To fight in the face of such insurmountable odds?

Well, as the story goes on it answers those questions:

   As the armies stood confronting each other in battle array a priest passed along the Scottish front, crucifix in hand, exhorting all to fight to the death for the liberty of their country. As he passed along the line each company knelt in an attitude of prayer. King Edward, seeing this, exclaimed to Sir Ingram:

“See yonder folk kneel to ask for mercy!”

“Aye sire,” the knight said, looking earnestly at the Scots, “they kneel and ask for mercy, but not of you; it is for their sins they ask mercy of God. I know these men, and have met and fought them, and I tell you that assuredly they will win or die, and not even when death looks them in the face will they turn to fly.” – G.A. Henty, In Freedom’s Cause

When I stand before my enemies and find myself tempted to despair I have a choice to make. How will I respond?

My enemy expects me to come and seek mercy from him. His entire goal is to prove to me that I cannot withstand him and must, sooner or later, submit myself to his rule.

In a way he is right. I cannot withstand him. He is stronger than I am. Truly, the Scots had no choice but to kneel and ask for mercy and neither do we. We do not, however, ask for mercy from the enemy. Rather we kneel before our Lord, the rightful ruler of our souls. We ask His forgiveness and we place the outcome of the battle squarely in His hands. Then we rise and fight.


My prayer this week, for myself and for each of you, is that it might be said of us as it was of the Scots, “that assuredly they will win or die, and not even when death looks them in the face will they turn to fly.” May we not fall short of that simple, unwavering courage that the Scots boasted for that courage comes from a simple, unwavering faith in the Lord of battles.

In Christ
quiana

No comments:

Post a Comment